Here we are: The beginning of a New Year with new hopes, new goals, and new aspirations.
ASPIRATION AND INSPIRATION
Here at Joann She, we aspire to improve OUR LEVEL OF SERVICE WITH A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF OUR PRODUCT.Knowledge is power and an important tool in empowering us is to instill buyers’ confidence in our products.
The two most commonly asked questions are:
What’s selling? What’s good? I want to share a little information with you on fashion forecasting which helps our designers in identifying trends.The fashion forecast also gives influences on our directions for each season’s new collection, especially at a commercial level.
Fashion forecasting is more than just predicting what will be in style next season. Forecasters must constantly be aware of world affairs, which includes following the stock market, politics, economic conditions, and social trends. The job of a fashion forecaster is to analyze these world events and predict how people will react to them, providing insight into the expected moods and buying behavior of consumers one to five years in advance. From there, they calculate what colors, silhouettes, and looks that will be profitable in upcoming seasons. There is no room for error in a fashion forecaster's job-- retail clients have been known to pay over tens of thousands of dollars for this information. This information is vital in inspiring our designers for the next season’s collections.
Follow style blogs to see what is currently happening in fashion.
Read the world news daily.Fashion forecasters analyze world events from all corners of the globe to predict future trends and buying habits.
Online print versions are helpful from global major cities such as New York, London, Paris, Milan, Beijing, and Tokyo.
Of course, in our line of fashion jewelry business, fashion starts on the runway. This is the shortcut to second guessing what the consumer is going to wear to suit their lifestyle. The rest is up to the design team in the interpretation and artistry of design.
The following is an impressionistic short list of my guestimations for the year 2012. What we can expect to see on the runway and then at street level, (in other words commercially). We hope you find this checklist helpful in determining your merchandising mix for 2012.
1. MOVIES. These often inspire new trends. The award winning: “Grey Gardens” has inspired many neutral Collections evident already in January’s silhouettes and décor. However, our collections do not disappoint in the offerings of fabulous vibrant colorations and multi-textural offerings.
2. ANTIQUE HERITAGE (MORE RECENT THAN VINTAGE) as well as Retro + New Combinations. This is referred to as fusion (One of a Kind Looks).The look is more unusual, unique and dramatic.
3. MODERNITY. Polished Steel & Geometrics cage like structures e.g: Geo metal cuffs, rings with irregular shapes & Chevron Pattern earrings.Expect massive dramatic and heavy metals.
4. MYSTICAL. Highly embellished ethnically diverse styles.
5. ECLECTIC. Natural looks with a more earthy appeal.(This year we will see more of rock candy colors than previous years).
6. THE FASHIONISTA LOOK.
7. GLAM. Crystals, rhinestones, studs, and grommets continue to trend especially as an accent to trimmings such as leather and fabric renderings in jewelry and accessories, look at watches, handbags, etc.
8. Faux and real pearls combinations. Layered chains with rosary connectors.
9. Ornamented bold bracelets.
10. Massive Lucite Confetti Bangles.Large ornamented leather bracelets, cuffs with charms, studs, and crystals. Multi-layered look with strappy bracelets in a mixture of colors and textures.
11. Statement Necklaces.These are necklaces that fill the collar area, such as the bib design, chunky chains with oversized pendants.This category still dominates the Milan, Paris, and London runways.
12. Tribal boldness and ethnic decoration addressed in bold pieces.
13. Traditional Updates.This category will become increasingly more important this fall as we say ‘so long’ to the jegging. Tailored trousers and pencil slim slacks have already replaced the jegging on the runway. It will be a while before it impacts street wear as the jegging has been the most impactful accessory/garment in the industry in a decade.
Innovative styles with a clean finish are a shoo-in for this category.
14. FINISHES. We will see more Two-Tone and tri-tone metals with metallic color groups. Rose gold tone already made it’s return debut in 2010; however, it is trending and is a must in this year’s fall collection.
Let’s keep in mind that this is not a bible but a good indicator of what the savvy buyer is hoping to see at the shows and at market and showrooms worldwide. For a moderate to better market, this information is essential.At Joann She & Co., you can find all of the above in this season’s and future collections. We look forward to seeing you soon!